Thursday, August 21, 2008

Bragging time, hold your ears........


Went to the barn last night just to putz around with Possum. We have a pretty big show coming up on Sunday about 2 hrs away so we better be on top of our game. We're going to be in the amateur adult classes and also special working hunter which is only 2'6". But I wanted to sharpen up our skills before hand. He was a little tired from the night before jumping big but he put in a really good effort. He was soft and bending and not as heavy on my hands like he can be. We warmed up the flat and then I worked on some of his flying changes. His ones to the right are absolutely perfect, but to the left his his harder side. Every horse usually has an easy and hard side to them, it's rare that a horse will be equal on both. It really takes a lot of left leg to move his ribs over and then a right leg back spur aid to ask him to switch. If he is so much as a tiny bit crooked he won't get his hind end. He was really good last night and I really wanted him to strangthen that bad flying change side.
We did some small jumping and just cruised around the outdoor. He just felt great last night, really pushing up and through the bridle, soft to the bit and responding to all my aids. In turn I was able to work on my position. Heels down, sitting up with back arched, hands together with a bend in the elbow etc...
I was so proid of him and all that he has accomplished. He's really gained a nice top line and muscle in his neck and back which in turn makes him look taller than he is. His eyes were shining last night when we finished, I quickly untacked him gave him a brushing and let him loose to eat grass, one of his favorite things. When he was eating I was admiring how fit and muscular he is. He is literally cut. He has that prominent muscle line on his flanks, his butt is well defined, his neck was nice and cresty after riding. I;ve just been so happy with my horse lately. I always say that a horse doesn't hit his prime until his teens, well Possum just turned 13 this July so he's really growing up. We just love to be around each other now and pal around. I don't think I;m gonna ride him tonight but will let him out to eat grass again and just relax. Will ride Friday seriously and then probably go galloping Saturday which is our typical routine the day before a show. I'll have a lot to do Saturday like packing alll my stuff, waching horse laundry, cleaning my tack and then going to bed early cause I'll need to get up Sunday morning at about 3AM. Well that's the end of my bragging. I was just being reflective today on how far my horse has come. From being green broke when I got him and a man eater to a pretty darn good show horse and the best all around horse, that's a long ways! ANyways, it's supposed to be nice here the next week or so, so i'm gonna enjoy it as much as I can.
On a side note, "G" invited me over to his house for dinner last night and to stay since it was getting late in the evening. He was sweet and friendly and took me aside when I first got there and gave me a big hug. I know that he's just really confused and I hope that he works everything out, because all of this hurting is killing me. He gave me a kiss bye this morning and wished me a good day. It was actually really relaxing last night and I hope that my mood can match the weather today, bright and sunny!
The pic above is of Possum and I last year at a small hunter show. I think the camrea caught him in mid blink, and I'm looking to my next fence. I just really liked this shot for some reason.

4 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

From a fellow Appy fan, Sidetracked, once you have "that" bond with an Appy, they will literally do anything they can for you. Sounds like the two of you are really going places!

Good luck at the show this weekend- I cant wait to hear how things go!!! Will be pulling for you guys here!

Leah Fry said...

And another Appy fan -- good luck! He is SO handsome! Get pix this weekend.

Unknown said...

Yes good luck at the show - can't wait to hear all about it!

20 meter circle of life said...

Awesome, cant wait to hear how the show goes. I love that APPY color, the mare that almost killed me (not kidding) was an Appy. But I have forgiven the breed as a whole.