Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Horse Show, Water Sports and Fun with Friends

Wow, I just realized that I havn't blogged in a while. SO much has happened, lots of good things and lots of other stuff too. Let me start off by saying that last week I busted my ass to ride every day of the week in preparation of the show that was this past Sunday. We had lots of serious rides and Possum was pretty good or the most part. I kept myself busy during the woek week riding and then running with the dogs some. Again, I'm trying to lose a littl weight so I'm trying to eat less and move more. SO far so good.

Saturday I spent the entire day at the barn. I got there at about 9:30am and didn't leave until about 8:30pm. I rode Possum before it got really hot, although I was roasting after the ride. The weather was bright and sunny so that was a plus. After riding we went on a mini trail ride with some folks and then I came back to the barn and gave him a thorough washing with lots of soap and water. I then put a sheet on him and let him loose to graze while I got my tack and things ready. The barn owner then braided him since I absolutely suck at it and we managed to dqueakin 26 braids which is huge for him. Most of the other horses at the farm we can get over 30, but Possum and his hair issues it's tough. Possum was tired after riding all week and was kinda sluggish int eh ring so I was hoping that it carried over to the show. Possum was the best he has ever been braiding, the worst thing he did was keep yawning, it was really funny, he couldn't stop. I then packed the hay nets and got the truch and trailer ready and cleaned my tack. By this time I was completely out of steam and basically just watched everyone else get ready. I visited with people and then wrangled up the dogs who were equally exhausted and went home.

Once home I washed and polished my boots and packed my show clothes and thena change of clothes for when I was done. The forecast was calling for possible rain in the morning so I was praying that it wouldn't. I went to bed right around 10pm and fell right asleep. When my alarm went off at 3:30am I was confused for a minute why it was going off in the middle of the nightm until I came to and realized that it was show day. I must have been really tired to forget about that. I had taken a shower the night before so I stumbled into the bathroom and washed my face and brushed my teeth and got dressed and ready for the day. My roomie also came out of her room in a daze to get ready. By 4:10am we were bright as bunnies and heading down the road to the barn. ONce we got to the barn we fed the horses their breakfast, loaded the rest of the trailer with our supplies and tack and loaded all the horses and away we went. The horses are so used to shows now that they basically just load themselves.

When we got to the show I was actually not rushing around and had plenty of time to get my number and stuff and get Possum settled in and then changed into my show clothes and got him dressed for warm-up. He did really well in the warm-up and only once during the jumping did I need to sharply remind him not to rush after the jump. We were ready to go. I brougthh im back to the trailer for a last minute drink of water and promptly at 8am we entered the ring for our first jumping class.

We did well. There were spots of rushing and figuring out the striding, but for the most part it was solid. He was clean over all the jumps, we used our corners well and on lines when we got a big spot coming in, I had to leave a stride out on the other end to try and make it flow and avoid those nasty chip-ins. We progressively got better as the morning went on, but so did everyone else. We were consistently placing third in classes of about 6 or so. All of the riders were pretty good for the most part and their horses were way nicer than Possum. There probably wasn't much that seperated 1st through 4th in the placings. Possum and I always do really well in the flat, but I don't know if the judge didn't like us that much or what because we got some seconds and thirds in the flat too. I was a little disappointed in the eq flat that we got beat by a girl that had her hands in her lap and loose legs. Her horse wasn't even braided! I was right behind her so I could see all that she was doing, or actually not doing. I felt like my legs were tight and strong, my hands were up, my back was arched as much as it could go and my head and upper body were stretching upwards. We got second and I was bummed only because I saw the girl who beat us. Oh well, that's how it goes at horse shows.

All in all it was a good day. I was able to get all my points and qualify for the Downeast Medal Finals that will be in September for the Adult Medal division. This is our first year at the medals in the 2'9" classes so I still need to train hard and be ready for September. Possum's biggest thing is rushing the lines, that has to stop! Even though Possum had his moments of rushing and getting strong, after only a couple of strides I was able to get him back and collected. It's just so hard to regain that steady rhythm for me to focus on the flow of the course. Possum executed all of his flying changes when needed which I was thrilled about. Over the jump felt nice like he was using his back and getting his knees right up there. I'm still waiting for the photographer to upload all of the photos. I'm going to give the show a B for a grading in the placing department, but an A- on cooperation for Possum because he really was doing well. This is our last show before the finals so I really need to build on this last one and be ready and sharp for the finals. I'm not looking to win the thing this year, but a respectable placing would be nice.

So after the show we got back to the barn super early, like 3pm and we all decided to go to a riders house who lives on the lake and have a BBQ and go boating and tubing. I just have to say that I had the most fun that afternoon. We all had a blast tubing and riding on the boat. I was laughing and screaming so hard that I lost my voice. The weather was great, I was with great friends and it felt really good to let loose. Tubing was so awesome, I love adrenaline sports and getting whipped around at around 40 mph is right up my ally. Plus seeing everyone else go and the looks on their faces was just priceless. It was a great day and one that I really needed.

Nick had texted me earlier in the morning "good luck hunny" I was pretty upset by this but tried to brush it off and focus on the show. We have been texting some and he will call me once in a while. He texted me SUnday night when I was going to bed that he missed me and wished that I was around. He said that he really wants to hang out. I just don't know what that means, but then again I read into everything!

Last night after work my roomie and I went back to our friends house on the motorcycle to swim and go back out boating, we wanted to try our hand at water skiing. Nick did end up showing up since it's very close to his house and he drove us girls around while my roomie and I attempted to water ski. The other girl was already pretty much a pro and even skiid on one ski. Nick is also a pro and opted to not ski since it was kinda cool out on the lake and was starting to get dark. We had dinner that her parents made which was really yummy, we swam, went in the hot tub and water skied. It was hard for me at first. I almost got up a couple times and then on the 4th try I was up and going. I got bored at just going straight so I decided to try some turns and then ended up whiping out shortly after. I had a good time and definately want to do it again to see if I can get better. It was about 9pm when we got back to the dock. Nick left to go to a party across the lake this his parents were attending to say hi and chill and my roomie and I drove back home on the bike and froze out little tushies off. It was really cold! Especially with wet hair and shorts. Before Nick left he did grab my arm and give me a big hug, I still felt a little flat about the whole thing and tried to lift my spirits and not dwell on it. I'm really trying, but sometimes it really gets to me.

After I got home and let the dogs out and put on warmer clothes Nick called me and asked me to come over and hang out and watch Wipe Out which is a show we love watching together since we laugh our asses off. I thought about it for a minute and said to myself "what the hell". I went over there and am kinda glad that I did because we laughed a lot and had a good time. We didn't end up going to bed until after 2am and I wasn't about to drive home so I crashed a his place. I got up bright and early this morning and cursed at myself for staying up so late and drove home to get ready for work. Nick yelled for me to have a good day as I was walking down the stairs. I'm actually doing Ok for not having much sleep. He texted me this morning but I was in a meeting just to say good morning.

Let me end this by saying that I am not getting my hopes up at all! I am not and will not allow myself to get sucked into a black hole. Yes I think we both have feelings for each other, but things are obviously just not right right now. They may be later on, or maybe not. I'm not holding my breath on anything, but I am also aware of how I feel and will try and protect myself to the best of my ability. I'm just going to keep on living day to day and have the best summer that I can.

Possum just got new shoes on yesterday so I'm thinking about going to the barn and riding, but it depends on how tired I am. I'll probably go regardless tolet the dogs run around and atleast groom my pony, but we'll see. It's supposed to be rainy with thundershowers this afternoon and I really hate riding in the indoor int he summer. I'm gonna play it by ear. SO as usualy leave me a comment or tell me what you think. I have a feeling that the majority of you will not be happy that I just up and went to his house last night, but it happened and i don't think he got the wrong message about it, nor did he think that he could just make me do whetever he wants. He did offer to come to my house buy my roomate was sleeping and the dogs would have gone crazy. Well, have a good day. Ofcourse it's sunny while I'm working right now, but I don't think it will last. I'll check back in tomorrow.

2 comments:

Leah Fry said...

Tubing is such a blast, but I'm more the lazy river type. Give me an adult beverage and let me float quietly.

You are handling this flaky guy thing really well. Good for you for staying busy.

And I need to do the eat less/move more thing myself.

Rebecca White said...

I think you are handling things well and keeping your wits about you, which is very good. The only thing I would say, is just to remind you that YOU are just as much in control of the situation as he is. Of course neither of you can control the other, but what you CAN control is your reactions and how you choose to deal with things. YOU can decide what is good for you and what is bad for you. If hanging out with him without having a label/commitment is okay with you, then it's okay. You are the only one who can really know if it works for you.

Oh, and don't forget to wash your saddle pad NOW so it's not damp for Medals! :)